Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More of the Cats

So our month with the cats is now up. We spent our last couple of days training new volunteers and the cycle continues. Sad to say goodbye to the cats we had spent a month with and the people we had also been spending every day with.
Sonko


Sonko only ever drew blood on me on one occassion. A few scratches on the arm, although quite impressive in length were not very deep and not photo worthy. He also got a couple of teeth in behind my knee at the same time. So, while some of the time he was very trying and difficult, he was never really aggressive with me. I take this to mean he like me.

Retrospect is a great thing. I can honestly say I had a great month working with this puma. I doubt you could get such a hands on role anywhere else in the world. Taking him for walks (when he wanted to), spending time in the jungle attached to a puma, feeding him (which always got him excited) but mostly getting affection from such an animal. The purrs, meows and strains to get a harder scratch were always the highlight of the day. But life goes on. Mine does and so does his. Hopefully I made his life better for the time that I was with him. He definitely made an impact on me.Rico


Bella ended up with worse injuries than me from a smaller cat. Rico was just too affectionate. As any cat person will tell you, cat affection often ends up hurting you. They just give too much.



I don't really know what else to say, so here are so more photos for you.

Except for that Ocelots are deadly killing machines and i would hate to be a snake, lizard, bird, bat or anything else they hunt. Yes, rico got all those animals in Bella's time with him.


Beware.

So it's goodbye to the kitties and onto La Paz and Lake Titicaca in our last week in Bolivia, then it's time for Peru.